The Thin Red Line

The Thin Red Line ★★★★★

THE THIN RED LINE may just be my favorite war film of all-time. The battle of Guadalcanal truly was a significant moment in WWII, and it’s one that historians love to salivate over, but what I love about the film is that Malick doesn’t give one iota about tactics or historical context. All he cares about is the human soul and how young men respond in the face of literal life and death. Some of them giving in to their fear (even to the point of pretending to be sick to avoid the front line), while others embody the very definition of bravery and heroism. Every character faces that spectrum in one way or another, and Malick examines it with poetry and grace, incessantly showing empathy no matter what behavior they display.

There is much more to say, but honestly, (at the risk of sounding self-indulgent) our review on Episode 420 is one of the best we've ever had on the show. If interested, please check it out. We go very in-depth on the film here: insessionfilm.com/movie-podcast-raya-and-the-last-dragon-the-thin-red-line-420/

InSession Film - liked this review