Silenced

Silenced ★★★★½

"Silenced" is one depressing and important piece of South Korean drama cinema. Based on real events it tells the story of a young man who gets a job as an art teacher at a school for deaf children. He's shocked by the abusive behaviour of his colleagues towards the children but the truth he uncovers is even more terrifying. And such is the helplessness he faces when public authorities don't want to take him seriously and the legal system does anything but it's job.

As I mentioned in my review of "The Hunt" starring Mads Mikelsen I consider child abuse the most horrifying atrocity a human can commit. That there are adults that force themselves upon children and even find pleasure in that enrages me like nothing else on the earth. With the children here being deaf, mute and orphans and the violators being teachers and the school director the protective and caring role adults should play in children's life gets perverted to no end.
And then there's the system that should finally bring justice when it's already too late and you can't even rely on that.
"Silenced" sheds a light at all this cruelty and injustice and shows the horrible helplessness of the children as much as of the young teacher. It shows how people with a good reputation and lots of money can do as they please. How easy people are corruptible. And how despicable humans can really become when the lack of heart and soul and the lust for power turn against the weakest of our own.

The acting is fantastic, especially considering the big amount of child actors and the extreme situations they had to play. Gong Yoo as the young teacher and Jung Yoo-mi as a friend and human rights activist do an amazing job as well bringing warmth to their characters as much as conveying impotent anger and despair.

"Silenced" is a well made film but it's first and foremost an important film. A film that exposes an inefficient legal system and corruption and that is a call to stand up and fucking do something should you ever come across someone who harms a child. You might not win the fight, but that's never been a reason to not start fighting. And if there's anything worth fighting for it's the heart and soul of a little child and ensuring it's safety.

Invincible liked these reviews