Judas and the Black Messiah

Judas and the Black Messiah ★★★★★

Before watching Judas and The Black Messiah, I've heard many people speculating about how this movie would probably hide Fred Hampton's political view, once he was a socialist.

Don't worry about that.

Shaka King's direction is fearless and exposes all the political stance of the Black Panthers right in the first scenes.

Featuring Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield - both in terrific performances, deserving every possible recognition - the movie tells the real story of Fred Hampton and O'Neal, hired by the FBI to infiltrate the Black Panthers.

It's devastating to watch the government exploring O'Neal, who initially couldn't understand the impact of his actions and gradually regrets everything as his role in such investigation gets more and more tragical. Lakeith Stanfield is able to deliver each and every emotion of his character, as we follow his changes.

Meanwhile, Fred Hampton's odyssey as the "Black Messiah", uniting all the oppressed people in search of the same revolution, is inspiring. Every speech gave me chills.

But he way, I have to emphasize Daniel Kaluuya's perfect performance, there is no discussion about who should win Best Supporting Actor this year. The actual revolution is gonna happen if he doesn't win.

Judas and The Black Messiah is fantastic from its first minutes to the last scenes and came to shake up this awards season. It's definitely my favourite.

You can kill a revolutionary but you can't kill a revolution.

Johann 🦖 liked these reviews