Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal ★★★★★

I'm definitely not afraid of saying that not only Sound of Metal is one of the greatest movies of 2020 so far, as it also is exactly what this year lacked the most.

Leaded by an unrecognisable Riz Ahmed in a marvelous performance, Sound of Metal tells the odyssey of a drummer who suddenly loses most of his hearing.

The sound design is undeniably what makes of Sound of Metal a masterpiece, its greatest achievement is in the capacity of exploring the sound and its absence through the ups and downs of Ruben's life, taking this character study into another level.

Impossible not to mention and adore both Riz Ahmed and Olivia Cooke. Extraordinary performances of two artists that I really expect to be recognised eventually, maybe even this year. Paul Raci is also a very grateful surprise.

Ahmed delivered my favourite performance of 2020 so far, incredibly sincere and touching, without any overacting, although how deep his character is.

Fantastic, a very strong contender to this awards season, let's see how far Amazon can go with it.

Joh 👽 liked these reviews