Stalker

Stalker ★★★★½

Film School Drop Outs - Weekly Challenge 2018
Week 20 - (Genre) Science Fiction New Wave (1960-1980)

Stalker is bigger than whatever review and explanation I can write for it. It requires multiple viewings but it also doesn't, every time you watch it you can find a new meaning to the whole film, in my case I'm succumbing to the fact that it holds meaning in different ways to anyone who watches it and that no amount of re-watches will ever give someone the satisfaction of fully dissecting it because where one meaning picks up another is destroyed.
There is no one way to navigate Stalker but the most glaring to me is the belief in a god/ religion/ faith in general, and while I do not agree with how Tarkovsky depicts a world void of faith, I love how he visually creates it. The cinematography of Stalker is my favorite element because of how timeless the styles are, the sepia scenes give off a very early 1900's release feel and the scenes in "The Zone" could be from a 2018 release (specifically Annihilation which I now see was heavily inspired by this film)
The literal and symbolic stories are both going to stay with me for a long time and I can see this growing on me more and more with each viewing, but at 163 minutes it will probably be at least a few years until I give this another go.

9/10