This review may contain spoilers. I can handle the truth.
isabel ✨’s review published on Letterboxd:
This review may contain spoilers.
Things I was expecting from this movie:
- For it to be bad, on behalf of the 2.9 average and questionable synopsis
Things I was not expecting from this movie that I sure as hell am glad I got:
- Hot Mess Ewan McGregor cooking dinner in a very stressed manner, intercut with Holly Hunter reading aloud from a trashy romance novel
- Ewan and Cameron Diaz doing a surprise song and dance number while standing on a restaurant’s bar
- Ewan confessing his love whilst getting the shit beat out of him
- Extreme close up of Ewan’s teeth??? ft. Orthodontist Stanley Tucci
- Ewan being King of Physical Comedy
- Surprise Timothy Oliphant??? For like 30 seconds???
- Talking head style shots of Ewan and Cameron discussing the nature of love, layered over a montage of all their previous scenes together
- EWAN ON SCREEN IN A KILT IT ONLY TOOK ME 23 MOVIES BUT I FINALLY FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR
Danny Boyle... how can I ever thank you enough... my heart is so full :’)
edit: i paused right before the end credits to write this review and it turns out they’re basically a claymation short film so let’s just add that to the list. This film is truly the gift that keeps on giving.