The Passion of Joan of Arc ★★★★½

There is no review for this diary entry. Add a review?

*slaps myself on the face multiple times for dropping this to a 4.5/5 before*

This film screams importance, every second of it feels as if you are watching a significant historical event unfold before your very eyes. Dreyer's use of close-ups on faces not only works extremely effectively in how it elevates the level of intensity, but also brought so much more power to the film with the way it captures the characters' emotions, especially of Falconetti's Joan because her performance is unreal. With pure expression and emotion, Falconetti delivers easily some of the most captivating, haunting and heartbreaking acting I've ever seen. Painfully human, she transfixed me throughout the 82 minute run time and left me in awe. It genuinely feels as if God is guiding her actions and she is fully devoted to it. Just her eyes alone speak immeasurable volumes. But The Passion of Joan of Arc is even more than that. It explores the idea of divinity and the existence of it in sublime detail and fascinates throughout with its brilliant contrast of religious beliefs against political motivations. On top of that, there is the purity of Joan, which absolutely shines through as the heart of the film, in a society dominated by men. This film is a pure cinema triumph that absolutely deserves its status. Forever in my all-time favourites because of how impeccably it captures the essence of humanity without saying any words.

5/5