The Babadook ★★★★½

Probably one of the best horror films out there, honestly. Jennifer Kent does a phenomenal job at keeping the suspense going, keeping the jump scares at a minimum, and creeping me out from beginning to end. Doing all THAT and at the same time she uses the monstrous Babadook as a metaphor for guilt and depression, making the movie and the ending probably one of the most perfect endings out there.

When I first saw this film years ago, I wasn’t a fan of the ending. Now all these years later, I’ve seen plenty of horror films since then and realized this ending is PERFECT. I’ve noticed that most horror films end one of two ways, which is:
1. The main characters defeat the monster. Or 2. The monster defeats the main characters. So it’s usually the same thing and Kent was able to do something very different and have them  *s p o I l e r  A l e r t * live with the monster. Which just completes the creativity of this horror film and completes the idea of how you can’t defeat the Babadook (guilt/depression), so instead they just live with it.
*e n d  o f  s p o I l e r*

The acting is great and although it may get a little irritating at first, I promise you it does get better. The Babadook is thrilling, scary, and at times, intense.
If you’re in the mood for something new, creative, and suspenseful, I recommend this film!

Issac liked these reviews