Gummo

Gummo ★★★★

After experiencing the visual feast that is Spring Breakers and being so intrigued by Harmony Korine and the film, it seemed that seeing his the rest of his films were an absolute must. Spring Breakers has left a lasting impression on me, making the desire of watching all of his filmography grow even more. And with that, all the love that Korine's debut film receives is definitely well-earned.

Gummo is not for everyone and I really mean that. Featuring cat corpses being shot at in the rain, animal abuse in general, and being a film that is just plain non-accessible, Gummo will not be everyone's cup of tea. But it certainly worked for me. Korine's choice for transitioning between the usual, normal look of the film to the pseudo-documentary look is abrupt and could be startling for some, yet flows together all too well, making me wonder how he did it with such precision. The way Gummo is shot just feels true to everything that is happening on-screen so much that I cannot find any words that can truly describe it.

While on the topic of being true, I know for a fact that towns like this exist in the USA. But what I don't know is if people like this, that do these type or similar things day to day, really exist. But, Gummo feels so incredibly authentic and real. The town of Xenia,Ohio seems closed off from the rest of the world and forgotten, with no chance to be re-build and fully recover from the tornado they experienced. It seems as there is no real effort to re-build anything. Kind of sad to see at times. The film also contains some small moments that I really resonated with, making me enjoy it even more, specifically the scene with the two brothers fighting in the kitchen. That scene really resonated with me so much, in the way that it reminds of how I've fought with my own little brother in the past.

The film does have sort of slow-paced, but once you get invested, one could be easily sucked into Xenia, Ohio and all of the events that are taking place in the film. Some may find Gummo to be pretentious and full of itself, but there's so much to it that I love and the authenticity of it all really makes the film as great it is.

Kenny liked this review