Heat

Heat ★★★★½

I've had this on my watchlist for the longest time and somehow, I found time to finally watch it for the first time. It's always a bit nerve-wracking, to go into a very beloved film or a film that's been famous for it's classic status it has garnered over the years. But with Michael Mann's crime film Heat, I had a good feeling I would absolutely love it.

I had this feeling because I really like and enjoy watching heist films, especially when they are mixed with other genres. But Heat doesn't need that, as it's already a fantastic film that doesn't need any genre-mixing of any kind. It's a great modern game of cat and mouse and every single scene showcasing intense action is well-shot, wonderfully choreographed, and just fun to watch overall. The film really has endless re-watchability and anyone and everyone can enjoy it.

While Heat is mostly appreciated for having excellent thrilling action sequences and having an engaging, exciting story from the first shot to the last word of dialogue. I also like the way Mann shows how professionalism and our professions, illegal and legal, can bleed into and affect our social and economical lives. For better or worse, but more on the worse side than anything else. If there's something I don't like about Heat, it would be the romantic subplots, in which there are three of them. I wasn't very invested in them, making them seem forgettable in my eyes. Thankfully, they don't take up much time during the film.

Vincent Hanna (Pacino) and Neil MacCaulay (De Niro) are two different people that share one problem: their jobs. They let their jobs affect and almost decide virtually all of their choices in every area of life. Where they go, who they spend time with outside of their jobs, the list goes on. But what's so interesting about them is how they both respect each other's craft. Neil respects how Vincent tracks down and gets the bad guys and Vincent respects Neil's determination and strive to get whatever he wants. Both are also having some women problems. Vincent doesn't want to get into the details of his job and the things he sees on the job with his wife and Neil is desperately trying to keep his real job a secret from his girlfriend, afraid she will leave him the second he tells her what he's been hiding from her.

Pacino and De Niro really give some astounding performances, making this film even more memorable than it could ever be. With everything anybody would want in a crime/action heist thriller, only some few films can beat Heat.

Kenny liked these reviews