Mulholland Drive ★★★★½

The June Challenge - Film #11

I have no idea what I just watched. But I know for sure that I enjoyed the hell out of it.

With this being my first David Lynch film, I was expecting the best from everything I hear about the highly critically-acclaimed director. And I got the best. Many people suggested that I watch Eraserhead to get a sense of his style, but I chose this film, since it interested me the most and it's one of those films many have said I have to see.

Mulholland Drive is meticulously-crafted and highly confusing, requiring the viewer to think much more than your usual film would, something I love. At the first, the film seems not to make any sense, until the second half kicks in, making everything come back together. Mulholland Drive is not just a film. It is a puzzle and I loved every second of trying to make the pieces fit. David Lynch has created something that is truly perplexing.

Lynch also builds tension very well and most of the big questions of Mulholland Drive are never explained by some supporting character, which most films usually do a lot. Which leaves the film open to many discussions and theories. The film has some elements of horror, fantasy, and romance. All combined and executed perfectly into a psychological thriller that I couldn't get enough of.

Mulholland Drive is one of a kind and is intriguing from start to finish.

Kenny liked this review