The Favourite ★★★★½

Who’s my Favourite? Yorgos Lanthimos, that’s who. This is Lanthimos's most conventional film so far, a costume drama without any elements so weird or off-putting as to scare anyone off. But he still pulls it off beautifully.

The photography is excellent. In fact it's probably his prettiest movie thus far, although the setting is a major factor in that. There are a few shots in the film taken through fisheye lenses, which is an interesting move that isn't always to the film's benefit. Some of them look good, others are distracting.

The script is taut and brutal. Granted, it was not written by Lanthimos but it's very much in his established wheelhouse of incredible cruelty mixed with empathetic humanity. As a story it doesn't pack as many surprises as a film like The Lobster but it's still quite a trip.

This also features another wonderful classical-selection score, including some bits of Messiaen that work perfectly despite being completely anachronistic.

Lanthimos is probably the most exciting director currently active. I haven't seen a bad film out of him yet and every single one has been original and unique. If you haven't seen any of his films yet, I highly encourage you to remedy that situation, and this is probably a good one to start with.