Annette

Annette ★★★★

It's the best thing since Cats!

On a second watch, there were some noticeable differences in the experience. First off, after my first watch, I had felt that "So May We Start" was kind of pointless as a number and didn't really gel with the rest of the film, but now, with my knowledge of the whole film and also staying through the end credits, I see how it actually does work. There is a lot in those lyrics that almost spells out the entire film.

But, mainly though, this rewatch accomplished three things, all positive. First, the artificiality of a lot of scenes and moments were not at all as noticeable as they were the first time. It stopped being a distraction and just blended into the whole style of the film this go around. Second, the emotions resonated so much stronger this time around, especially in the ending. Again, I don't want to spoil anything because it is best to go into this blind, but the incredibly complex emotions of the final few scenes just really come through now. It's so amazing. Lastly, this film just felt so whole now. I don't even really understand why I thought it was so fragmented on my first go, it's just a really whole and complete film and experience. It is so strong structurally and thematically. Such a beautiful film.

I WANT THE WHOLE SOUNDTRACK! GIVE ME THE WHOLE SOUNDTRACK! I DON'T JUST WANT A HIGHLIGHTS ALBUM. GIVE ME EVERYTHING.

Jackson liked these reviews