Us ★★★½

Genuinely unnerving. Jordan Peele's trademark humor seeps through occasionally, but there's no mistaking this for anything but a full-fledged horror movie. After the cerebral thrill-ride of Get Out, it felt good to genuinely WINCE at what was happening onscreen. Lupita Nyong'o's performance(s) were spectacular, and her presence filled me with a feeling of dread that rivals some of the best movie villains ever.

Ultimately though, I left the theater more curious than terrified. A lot of ideas get thrown out throughout the film's almost 2 hour runtime, and not all of them go as far as I would have liked. There's nothing unforgivable or lazy here, but it tightropes between purposeful ambiguity and frustrating vagueness a bit too precariously.

Still, there's a lot to love about Us. There isn't a single weak performance to be found (Tim Heidecker continues to be the funniest part of whatever he does), the cinematography is noticeably better than Get Out, and the atmosphere is unrelentingly creepy. Definitely gonna be seeing this one again, if not to wrap my head around the wealth of ideas being thrown at me.

jackal liked this review