Under the Silver Lake ★★★★½

This is a film that I acknowledge has a fair share of problems but I could care less with the majority of them because of how interesting, fun, and obsessive this film is. It’s a sensory overload clusterfuck and I love every single second of it to be honest.
It’s my favorite performance of Andrew Garfield for sure, I love how batshit insane he gets during a lot of it, the songwriter scene is one of the best scenes of the 2010s, the score rocks, I love all the odes to classical Hollywood cinema, Nintendo games, pop music, the framing combined with the locations make the images lush and gorgeous, the amount of meaning in everything makes me want to watch this over and over again and analyze everything about it, ugh.
I think it’s easy to tell that I absolutely adore this film. I can understand the hate and I acknowledge it’s flawed (some really noticeable audio errors, it should’ve been shot on film, characters pop in and out at random, etc.) but like I said, most of it I can overlook.
I hope this eventually gets the recognition it deserves one day and people start seeing it as the absolute work of brilliance that I see it as. Someday I’d like to do a long, long, long ass analysis of this but that’s gonna have to be after a couple more watches because there’s so so much to unpack. For now, I am genuinely in love with this. Thank you Mr. Mitchell for this gem, I can’t wait to see what you do next.

/ / /