Stalker

Stalker ★★★½

I’m going to make myself a new term: “pulling a Moonrise Kingdom”.

Now, what do I mean by this? You see, when I watched Moonrise Kingdom, I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t like, amazing. That is, until, the third act. I’ve said this a couple times before, but Moonrise Kingdom has my favorite third act of any movie. It has perfect pay offs, amazing thrills, and incredible humor all put in a Wes Anderson package, and I love it.

Anyway, I say this, because Stalker does exactly that. Despite Andrei Tarkovsky directing the hell out of this - like seriously, the direction is amazing; it reminded me a lot of Stanley Kubrick in the way that his directing style has an entrancing and hypnotic quality to it - I was honestly kind of bored for a good amount of it. I was immersed, I guess, but not compelled, if you get what I mean. I know that this is widely seen as a masterpiece or whatever, but I was kinda nodding off in a couple of spots.

This might be because I found the movie to be very slow. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m perfectly fine with slow films. Ad Astra is a very slow movie and I gave that movie a 4.5. Blade Runner 2049 lingers on many shots for a long time and that movie is in my all time top 10. But this movie was soooo slow, and kinda boring.

But the last hour was engaging as heck. I was gripped to my seat for the whole last part. The atmosphere that the film was creating really started working for me, and the characters’ journeys made me really invested.

Now, this might come down to the fact that I was expecting the wrong thing from this movie. Based on the synopsis, I was very much expecting a movie that takes place almost entirely in the room, and examines how the finding of deep seated desires can affect someone or something like that. I’m not going to spoil what actually happens, in case you don’t want to know anything, but it’s not that. So, it might’ve been that by the last hour that I really came to accept the movie that I was watching. I don’t know man. It was good. I liked it. One of the most well made movies I’ve ever seen? Sure. One of my favorites? Eh, but it probably deserves a rewatch.

Also, I have no idea what the ending means. I’m so lost. My brain is so small.

Jaewoo liked these reviews