Ikiru ★★★★★

Before I begin, I would like to say that this is not going to be a proper review and I want you to keep the one person behind it in mind.

My name is Jaime Rebanal, and I am a hopeless individual who has suffered through depression and extreme anxiety. I think saying that can already get a load off my chest for the time being.

But why say this in front of an entry about Ikiru, you say? I feel like Ikiru is a film that can represent me when I go through these depressive episodes so perfectly and though I'm not near death or anything, the pain that the protagonist, Kanji Watanabe, feels also begins to leave him to question, "What meaning is there in my life?". I feel a strong connection to this because even at times much like now I question myself about the exact same subject. I can't exactly sum up rather perfectly how hard does that pain hit me. And that pain is what I feel is so perfectly captured here, in what might probably be the saddest film that I have ever watched. Will this pain ever come to an end? This film is what I feel sums up everything about who I am as a person so perfectly, and it is also the one I turn to whenever I'm put into such a mood. Kurosawa, you have done well. Thank you for making such an incredible film about the struggle to find meaning in one's life, and I hope to find that meaning sometime soon.

My journey ends as a new quest begins for myself, and there we have it, my favourite film.

(a more detailed "professional" review can be found here)

Jaime liked these reviews