The Dark Knight ★★★★★

It had been a long time since I had last seen The Dark Knight and although I don't quite love Christopher Nolan nearly as much as I used to when I was in high school, this film still holds up beautifully well. But I also do have a soft spot for it on the count that it was still among the first films to really get me interested in film as a whole.

I feel like we probably won't get another superhero movie where the stakes actually feel they're this high up ever again - though I suppose that's in part due to how much Christopher Nolan shows how much this work is indebted to the films of Michael Mann. It's not quite up to par with Heat (though in all fairness, few things are), which shows itself to be Nolan's most prominent influence, particularly in regards to its complicated sense of morality, but it's also never not entertaining either, making the whole two and a half hour long ride feel like it flies by much faster.

And of course, Heath Ledger as the Joker still remains unmatched, there's no incarnation of the Joker that feels every bit as special as the one that Christopher and Jonathan Nolan have created for the late actor.

Seeing this on IMAX 70mm was an enthralling experience. One of the best looking prints I've seen in a while.

Jaime liked these reviews