Minding the Gap

Minding the Gap ★★★★★

The city of Rockford isn’t foreign to me, sitting at only an hour drive away. I’ve been there many times throughout my life and I continue to revisit Rockford because I have some great friends there. So obviously this film easily resonated with me but I actually never realized how troubled the city of Rockford is. I really can’t imagine how much this film ended up resonating with my friends considering how much it impacted me.

Minding the Gap left me in a emotional wreck. This was easily the most emotional I have ever been throughout a film and it was the most I’ve cried during a movie in a long time. I have to give major props to Bing Liu. The amount of emotion he garnered out of me through his and his friends life stories hit home with ease. Bing Liu is one talented individual behind the camera and he deserves all the recognition he could possibly get this upcoming awards season.

Minding the Gap focuses on the lives of Kiere Johnson, Zack Mulligan, and of course Bin Liu. All have had extremely troubling experiences throughout their lives. I found myself entirely invested into Kiere Johnson’s life story. I resonated with the loss of his father at a young age and the conflicts he’s facing around that situation. In a way his story and this film gave me some opportunities for therapy and reflection. I couldn’t help but want to give Kiere a huge embrace throughout the film. The other standout story in the film was Zack Mulligan’s ex-girlfriends dynamic with him and their child. At the end of the day I’m so thankful for everyone apart of this documentary for revealing their life issues onto a larger platform because it has and will help me.

If you have Hulu, Minding the Gap is a must watch for anyone. This is an astonishing accomplishment for Bin Liu and everyone apart of this incredible documentary. For everything that it’s worth, they definitely deserve all the awards they could possibly get this awards season.

JakeBaker liked these reviews