Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★

When watching a new film from a living, breathing legend, one has certain expectations before settling into the theater seat. I'll give it this: this is as mature, thoughtful, intelligent, and unique and Tarantino has ever been. Brad Pitt is wonderful. The whole film speaks as a love letter to the era of old Hollywood and all things the director loves, be it spaghetti westerns, kung-fu movies, or anything old-school and retro. This is something almost completely different from anything Quentin has ever done. All of these are things I love and appreciate. Nevertheless, and this is the sad part, by the very end, I was left completely cold. I thought I'd feel the warm embrace of the cinema screen that everyone else felt, there was nothing. There were moments where my mind wandered away from the events unfolding on screen, moments where I thought, "Do I like this?" and that same thought repeated in my head over and over and over again. I believe I do like this, there's too much good in it to dislike it. But I wish there was something... more.

I dunno. This one's tough. Might need a few days (and a rewatch) before I can actually make heads or tails of it.

jacob liked these reviews