Your Name.

Your Name. ★★★★½

What a beautiful love story. I don't think I cheered at two characters' friendship and love at a 2017 film as much as I did this one (Shape of Water does come close, though, and I still have yet to see Call Me by Your Name).

I love how Mitsusha and Taki compliment each other, how they make their lives better by trying to help each other while they are in each others' bodies. Mitsusha helps Taki with his social anxiety when talking as him with Miki, whilst Taki helps Mitsusha stand up for herself more and become better with sports. Through each others' bodies, they learn more about what they had been missing in their life, with Mitsusha finally living in the city like she's always wanted, and with Taki feeling like he has more of a family while living with Mitsusha's. Their romance and friendship became more believable and their chemistry was perfect as the film went on, despite them never meeting each other. When more is revealed about Mitsusha, it's heartbreaking.

The animation was absolutely gorgeous. It's common to expect beautiful animation in anime, I know, but on an aesthetic level, this is probably the most beautifully animated film I've ever seen. The color palette was absolutely perfect, and seeing the shadows contrast with the light in certain shots was breathtaking. The backgrounds were stellar, and often looked like paintings, and the scenes that took place during the magic hour can even tug at heartstrings when the characters and story aren't already.

The score is also great, with a lovely piano score that accompanies the film that shows the intimacy between Mitsusha and Taki. And the upbeat rock that plays at the montage while they are living their lives as each other compliments that scene really well, as the upbeat music matches the comedy of that montage.

This film's highs gave me the biggest smiles, and the movie's saddest and most beautiful moments led me to start weeping. I truly hope this gets an audience of people who aren't really into anime, much like Spirited Away did. I'm really looking forward to checking out Makoto Shinkai's other works, and if they're half as good as this was, I'll be happy. Definitely give this one a watch if you haven't.

Jakob liked these reviews