Fear Street: 1978

Fear Street: 1978 ★★★

Fear Street: 1978 promises a high-concept homage to the summer camp slasher and delivers what is, technically speaking, a movie about a slasher at a summer camp, but also one that's a little too earnest and preoccupied with building up its lore. The movie's in a bind from the start. On one hand, if you're here for a taste of Friday the 13th and Sleepaway Camp, the amount of runtime devoted to finding clues and drawing connections between one goofy thing and another is inevitably going to frustrate; but on the other, if you're just sticking around for some forward momentum in Fear Street's broader cursed-town narrative, this isn't much more than an exercise in wheel-spinning. Regardless of how I approach it, I have trouble imagining the movie as a totally satisfying experience. And of course, the filmmakers double down on their reliance on music. Setting aside 1994, I genuinely can't remember this many iconic songs being deployed so haphazardly and to so little effect.

That being said! The horror elements aren't bad, the camp setting is cool (toilet cave!), and Emily Rudd’s anxious camp counselor/older sister is the first protagonist to really gel with franchise's weird self-awareness.

JakubM liked these reviews