North by Northwest

North by Northwest ★★★★

Somehow, the first Hitchcock movie I’ve seen, and I quite enjoyed it. Despite all the twists and turns modern thrillers try to take, it’s been a while since I’ve seen one that was actually clever and engaging. Mission Impossible: Fallout, for as flawless as the action is, felt very by the numbers in terms of the mystery elements of it. North By Northwest really managed to surprise and engage me in the way it told its story, despite a few predictable moments (and again, I’m not sure if that’s because it used that cliche or if it’s what started that cliche). The cast is great, and the characters are better developed than you’d see from most modern movies - although they don’t particularly have *much* of an arc. The score is instantly memorable and it’s very interesting to see the iconic images from this in their original context. It has its silly moments, and it reaaaally starts to drag in the run up to the climax, but it was overall pretty enjoyable - a shame that people kept coming into the theater with their phone flashlights on talking super loud 🙄

jameshubbardr liked this review