Bone Tomahawk ★★★½

I was not expecting to enjoy this one as much as I did. Maybe I'm just a sucker for genre mashups, even when both genres in this are those I'm not an enormous fan of. But the odd thing is, Bone Tomahawk uses each genre to restrain the usual tedium I tend to find in the other. It's a win-win spin: Bone Tomahawk the horror film is invigorated by the strong writing and characterisation of Bone Tomahawk the western, and Bone Tomahawk the western is invigorated by the aggression and volatility of Bone Tomahawk the horror film.

There is an outrageously graphic death scene in the final act that I had already seen thanks to a /r/movies circlejerk over "Oh man you have to see how brutal this is!" thread discussing it. Out of context it felt like any other shock value, gory set piece, and at the time I thought it was a clear indicator of this not being a very good film, but I was surprised to find it actually makes sense in the context of the film and has a striking impact as the film reaches its climax.

While it isn't the best film of the year, I don't think anything else I will see in 2015 can defy my predisposition and expectations in such a positive manner as this has. Recommended.