Spider-Man: Far from Home ★★★

My least favourite of the recent Spider-Man content, but how can you even compare a movie like this with INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE?

Like HOMECOMING before it, SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME is big on charm and personality but light on emotion or ideas. But whereas HOMECOMING seemed confused about what it was saying, FAR FROM HOME is self-assured but doesn't take many big swings (I said swings!!!) in terms of character or idea. Here are some things I disliked, liked and loved:

DISLIKED the blandest, most nothing CGI I have seen in the MCU. It is *sort of* the point, but that doesn't make it any more interesting to watch. DISLIKED Fury and Hill, who similarly have a "reason" to be less-than-useful, but still are just that. DISLIKED vague and unconvincing villain motivation. Like, what exactly is their desired outcome?

LIKED that cast, even if Zendaya is under-served as MJ. Tony Revelori does so much with Flash Thompson though, it's wonderful. LIKED the context of people dealing with "the blip" even if they don't *really* get into it. LIKED Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio, a great comics villain who shows off his best abilities when one-on-one with Spider-Man. Those sequences were enthralling. Wish I could've seen Jake Gyllenhaal a little more unhinged, though. Where's that NIGHTCRAWLER energy??

LOVED the final plot point, even though it was in the credits. Put it before the credits! LOVED the inspired, awe-inducing, masterstroke of reviving the greatest casting decision of all time for the MCU: JK Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson.

James liked these reviews