Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★

I'm afraid it's a no from me.

Tarantino's ninth feature contains pockets of great filmmaking, a couple of good-possibly-great performances, but that doesn't atone for the bloated, over-indulgent runtime that ran really awkwardly alongside the painfully jarring exploration of so many different characters and plot threads that rarely come to fruition. DiCaprio is Dicaprio. Pitt evokes many of my favourite moments, particularly in the third act, and Robbie is so effortlessly charming in a role that could and should have been more justified. The many talented members of the ensemble all leave their impressions, including a memorable breakout from Julia Butters.

Overall, I can't help but try to cling onto the moments I liked but the only parts swimming around my mind are the ones I detested, and they come in such abundance that it leaves a truly sour taste in my mouth.

I'm going to go into more detail on my blog, as well as writing a new piece inspired by some things this movie made me think about.

But I'm thoroughly disappointed and I need this movie to leave me alone, even though I know I won't escape it until awards season ends.

Jamie liked these reviews