The Irishman

The Irishman ★★★★½

A sprawling mafia epic about chosen family, estrangement, and loyalty, with Al Pacino using the word "cocksucker" often enough to make a deadly drinking game out of it. I found some parts less interesting than others but simultaneously don't feel like anything was unnecessary in its 3 and a half hour runtime. Anna Paquin's role is shamefully misunderstood by many despite being one of the most essential roles of the film: Peggy is the living embodiment of the consequences Frank's lifestyle came with, the inevitable disconnect from the very people he tells himself he's protecting.

It took me three days to finish this because every scene is so filled with information and subtext, I wanted to give every scene my utmost attention. I'm excited to watch this again with someone else in one sitting and really take in this character study. I do think I prefer Marty at his more cartoonish, but the somber tone is powerful nonetheless and it balances well with Pacino's hilarious and touching performance as Jimmy Hoffa. And really, who does wear shorts to a meeting?

jamie liked these reviews