Dolemite Is My Name

Dolemite Is My Name ★★★★

Dolemite Is My Name is a comedy-drama about the movie Dolemite starring Eddie Murphy. Considering Eddie Murphy's movies leading up to this one, this had no right to be as good as it was. The story about how this movie was made is very interesting and it is told in a very entertaining way.
In the starring role, you have Eddie Murphy who is great. He is very entertaining, but can also be serious, and he just shows the most emotion he has shown in a long time. The supporting cast is mostly solid and even though there were some less-than-solid performances, they are overshadowed by the good performances. I also love that Snoop Dogg is in the very first scene, but he also appears a little bit later and his performance is very entertaining and fun.
One thing that is very well done here is the comedy. For the most part, it is solid and there are some great lines from Eddie Murphy, but also the rest of the cast like Da’Vine Joy Randolph. The style in which these jokes are said is very unique, as they are said in a rap-like way which makes them very unique.
The score is also solid and some of the songs are very fun with some great lines inside of them.
The movie also has its faults. Some moments fall a bit flat and I think the start of the movie is somewhat slow, but when those are the only bad things, you know the movie is solid overall.

2019 movies ranked - letterboxd.com/jan_klobucic/list/2019-movies-ranked/