Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★½

I decided to rewatch Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time In Hollywood, because although i liked the movie the first time, it didn't have the click with me that it had with others. But I really wanted to like the movie more. And I am happy to say that i liked it quite a bit more the second time around.

Tarantino is a genius. One of the few filmmakers who has complete creative freedom over their projects. He directs the movie extremely well. It is hilarious, at times emotional, but most of all shows his love to cinema. The story itself is pretty much my only problem with the movie. I felt like it needed something to sew all the plotlines together and at times the movie feels a bunch of random moments which don't affect the plot at all. When you look back to what happened, there really isn't a hero's story. For three fourths of the movie it's a bunch of amazingly executed moments from two days of Hollywood life in 1969. And yet it works so well. Not one second dragged for me (the second time around, when i knew where the story was going to end up). It is the investment in characters, amazing cinematography, the best soundtrack of the year, some of the best performances of the year and the love and respect I have for filmmaking that makes it work. And the third act is just pure joy. It is extremely funny, superbly executed and most self-aware, over the top, an unique Tarantino climax.

The second time around OUATIH is a better movie. It flows better, no moment drags, the performances are immaculate, everything form the production design to soundtrack is on point and although it could tie all it's plotlines to a more compelling story, it seems to be a movie that gets better every viewing and it may improve even more the next time around.