2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★½

I don’t know if I can say that this review contains spoilers, I more talk about the things in it, than spoiling them. But if you don’t want to know anything about the movie, don’t read it.

It’s hard to write some reasonable words about Kubrick’s science-fiction masterpiece: “2001: A Space Odyssey”, because it is a movie that takes us on a trip beyond everything we have ever imagined. It introduces us to mysteries that never has occurred for us, but also picks up the questions we have asked ourselves before. “2001: A Space Odyssey” is such a deep and beautiful movie and therefore it’s hard to do anything else than to bow to Kubrick and just be impressed.

But still, I will try to write some words about the movie, even though I still am pretty spellbound by it.

Now, the first thing I guess is worth to mention is that I saw this movie for the first time when I was twelve years old. I loved it then, but did not get allot out of it. Now I am fourteen (yes, I am much wiser now) and still it’s pretty hard to follow all this movie wants to tell me. But, I got a bit more out of it then before.

The first chapter in the movies is called “The Dawn of Man” and for me represents how the apes turned in to humans. When one of the apes finds a bone from a skeleton, he discovers the power of violence. He introduces this to the other apes and that is when they start becoming humans. They understand power and how to get it. It’s a pretty negative look on humans, but then violence has always been a negative side of us.

When we get into the space travel it’s even harder to follow the movie, but I think that this is an insight in how far we have come. From the apes to
traveling to outer space. And it is all connected through this big black square.

The end of the movie is the largest question it asks, but maybe because that is when all the things the movie has represented for us, comes together. I think I have to watch the movie one hundred times again and than maybe I will understand the half of it. But from what I understood, the ending is about rebirth (maybe into another life and world (or planet)).

Now let’s just face it, “2001: A Space Odyssey” is a masterpiece and one of the most innovative and influencing movies ever. It has made a deep impression on the world of cinema and changed it forever. It feels like a dream seeing large space ships floating through a large and beautiful space to classical music. I love how quiet and relaxed the movie is, and it really helps building up to the incredible climax. With all its beautiful pictures and colors and with its deep questions and meanings, “2001: A Space Odyssey” is a brilliant, merry and dark adventure in space.