Moulin Rouge!

Moulin Rouge! ★★★★½

Film #27 of December 2016: Flounder's Scavenger Hunt

TASK #12: A film directed by Baz Luhrmann!

...I...I am quite speechless at the movie I just watched tonight. I have seen some insane films before, but Bas Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge might just take the cake with how insane it is. And you know what, I think I kinda loved it. It may be bonkers, but it is a film that is bursting with charm, heart, beauty, and soul. It has terrific performances, an insane villain, great romantic chemistry between the Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman, fun characters, gorgeous cinematography, top-notch production values, a touching story, a heartfelt script with strong writing, witty humor, and THE best soundtrack I have ever heard from any film. It also balances between comedy and drama very well to make the film not only entertaining, but hard-hitting with feels. The only two issues I have are the uneven tone and the first ten minutes are kind of off, but once the show gets on the road, it becomes a magical musical experience. Moulin Rouge is probably the best musical I have ever watched and despite becoming more hated over time, as far as I'm concerned, I think it is pretty brilliant. If you are a fan of musicals and you have not seen this movie, check it out.

Jared liked these reviews