Ready Player One

Ready Player One ★★★★½

Okay, as a huge gamer and as a huge fan of Spielberg’s work, this was by far my most anticipated film of the year. Although, there were no major actors that I knew in this film, the concept and the director had me sold. I am happy to say that as far as I am concerned, this movie delivered. First and foremost, this film officially has my favorite world in a movie. Seriously, it has a cool setup, both virtual and reality, plenty of freedom, and even the ability to enter other dimensions to all kinds of pop culture. Honestly, if I could enter the world in this movie, I would do it in an instant. Beyond that, this movie has an engaging story, extremely likable characters, terrific performances, sharp writing that blends action, comedy, and drama really well, a fantastic soundtrack, stunning cinematography and visuals, breathtaking action set pieces, and great references to pop culture. There are plenty of them, and they will catch your attention, but they don’t take away from the story of this film in my opinion. I am still able to appreciate the story and the world that Spielberg created without getting distracted by gaming culture references. Speaking of Spielberg, you could tell he had a blast creating this film from start to finish. There was never a moment in the film where I thought he was not having an absolute blast creating this film, and that is why I love his work. He is a director who takes his work very seriously, but still loves what he does and shows that in every scene in his films. That being said, I adore this film, but it is certainly not perfect. I felt like there was a little too much narration in the first act of this film, which I normally don’t mind, but it did feel like a bit of an exposition dump at times. Sometimes, it is better to show than tell in a film, and this is a perfect example of that. Also, the ending was somewhat confusing to me. I won’t spoil it, but it just had me scratching my head and wondering what was going on. This doesn’t take away from the movie for me, but it definitely left me wondering what happened. One other thing that might bother fans of the book, from what I heard, this film does not follow the story of the book. This does not affect my enjoyment, they but for those who want a loyal adaptation of the novel, may be disappointed.

Ready Player One may not be the best made film, but it is an amazing blockbuster film that I believe that not just gamers can enjoy, but anyone. It is a bit longer than I expected to be, but it is a blast from start to finish. It is just so likable and energetic, and it feels like that Spielberg put all of his passion into this film. I really hope this film does well at the box office, but I have a bad feeling it will bomb, because there where not that people in my showing. I absolutely recommend it to anyone, because any one can enjoy this thrilling and exciting flick.

Jared liked these reviews