The Dark Knight ★★★★★

Do you want to know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I know your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

I probably shouldn’t be watching this with my online classes starting, but it was just about to leave Netflix and I couldn’t miss the opportunity to watch it. I got through watching Batman Begins the other day and I thought it was a brilliant comic book film that took the caped crusader into a dark and intense movie that worked beautifully. This sequel is one of the most critically acclaimed movies of all time. To my shame, I have never seen until tonight... and I have to say, I wish I saw it earlier.

For me, The Dark Knight is just as good as I heard and I was enthralled by it from start to finish. It takes everything from Batman Begins and improves on that movie. The tone is just as dark, but movie is more intense. The story is much better and sharper. It really shows the scary side of Gotham and how it was slowly turning into a city of madness. The characters are better and more developed. The stakes are much higher than ever were before. The action scenes have vastly improved and they are beautifully shot and edited in this film. The fights are more exciting and there is this awesome chase sequence where Batman uses his motorcycle to catch the Joner and save Harvey. The set pieces are thoroughly entertaining as they are intense. The performances are better than ever before. Christian Bale is starting to grow on me as Batman and he still makes for an excellent Bruce Wayne. Gary Oldman continues to be amazing as Commissioner Gordon. He shows a bit more of an emotional or sensitive side here. The two biggest standouts with out question are the villains of the movie, Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent/Two-Face and Heath Ledger as the Joker. Eckhart plays really well with Harvey, but once he becomes Two-Face, you can see his shear heartbreak when he sees Rachel die. You can see how he goes from being a pretty decent guy who wants to help make Gotham a safer place to a corrupt person who blames the world and believes life should be by chance. His development is fantastic and Eckhart’s performance is top-notch. The real star of this movie however is Heath Ledger as Joker. This guy manages pulled this character off perfectly. His very presence is intimidating, his lines are gold and Ledger delivers them perfectly and he captures the absolute creepiness of the Joker flawlessly. This Joker might be my favorite comic book movie villain of all time. As a result, the villains are much better in this film than the last one. They are more intriguing, their plans are better and they raise the stakes of the story and characters. I think that is the biggest thing. I am feeling more attached to these characters and after Rachel’s death, I felt more worried for them that anyone could be next. Heck, I thought Gordon died at first! Going back to Rachel, I legitimately did not think she was going to die. That truly surprised me. Maybe it shouldn’t have, but it did, because I thought she would be rescued, but Harvey would survive with half of his face messed up. I was dead wrong. The pacing is also much better. It gets in on the action early on and the story moves along at a much more even pace. The cinematography is just as breathtaking as ever. Gotham is just a beautiful looking city and I never get tired of the big shots of the city. The musical score by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard is absolutely phenomenal. I have that theme stuck in my head now.

So yeah, I pretty much think The Dark Knight deserves every bit of praise it got. I actually thought that I would find it to be overrated. However, I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next and getting a little emotional for certain characters. This gives you everything you would want from a comic book movie and more. In my opinion, this film is a comic book movie masterpiece.

Jared liked these reviews