2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★½

I've started and deleted about 3 or 4 entries now so I'm just gonna bullet point this motherfucker.

-I've never felt so much like I was learning while watching a film before. From start to finish, Kubrick gives us a masterclass in his craft, from the wide angles in the first half to the intense close ups and claustrophobia of the second half, Kubrick's sheer precision with the camera and the art of filmmaking make this a joy to watch on those merits alone.

-I'm afraid not much can be said for the characters or the acting. I find Roger Ebert's observation that HAL is the most human character in the film to be very accurate.

-I'm still unsure how I feel about films like this. Those type of films that fail to provide any answer at the end, seemingly a mess or sprawl of consciousness. The same can be said for films like Synecdoche, New York and Mulholland Drive. I tend to gravitate more toward films with a straightforward story.

-The score is of course iconic, and I don't think any human alive could repress the goosebumps when Also Sprach Zarathustra plays over the rising of the sun at the beginning of the film.

-The set design and cinematography is wonderful, beautiful. The sets and costume design manages to straddle that fine line between futuristic and foolish. The cinematography is simply astounding and I found myself constantly in a state of awe at just how incredible some of the shots were.

-All in all, 2001: A Space Odyssey is undoubtedly a masterclass in film craft. However, I'm left feeling cold emotionally toward it, never feeling a deeper connection. It felt passionless. Maybe that's what Kubrick wanted.

4.5/5 for craft and precision.

Jason liked these reviews