Bone Tomahawk

Bone Tomahawk ★★★½

Part Western and part cannibal horror film, BONE TOMAHAWK is unfortunately not as incredibly awesome as a glance at the poster, the cast, and the synopsis might lead you to hope, but it's a pretty good watch all the same. It may be no RAVENOUS, but it's definitely more artful and suspenseful that the same year's THE GREEN INFERNO.

Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, Richard Jenkins, and Matthew Fox (can you believe the cast that this director got for his first freakin' film??) star as four men attempting to rescue hostages (including Wilson's character's wife) from a clan of savage cannibals, and if that doesn't sound awesome, I don't know what does.

A little too much of what's clearly intended as a "slow burn" simply comes across as slack pacing and dead air, but the extremely bloody, intense final 45 minutes are worth getting to, I'll just put it that way. I don't know if any scene has ever induced an "oh my god, ouuuuuch!" reaction in me more than a particular scene here. You'll know which one.

Jason liked these reviews