Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb ★★★★★

Only Stanley Kubrick could take a concept as grim and feared as nuclear war and turn it into a farcical comedy.

The amazing thing is the ease with which he managed to do so. Simply by dialing up all of the personality quirks of the characters, which do not seem all that strange when they are toned down a bit, Kubrick is able to create a hilarious and, in some ways, frightening look at the prospect of nuclear annihilation. Maybe it's just because I am looking at this from a modern day, cynical point of view, but these people do not seem dissimilar from the people running the government now.

The film is off putting at how seriously it takes the situation, creating the bulk of the humor. Time has tempered a bit of its impact I am certain. I can't imagine if this was as funny or as distressing back in 1964 as it is now. As a film, however, aside from the humor, Dr. Strangelove is a fantastic one.

Peter Sellers gives a great three headed monster of a performance, showing the full range of his talents as an actor. Though he is probably most famous for playing the titular Dr. Strangelove, I find that his portrayal of President Muffley is actually more hilarious. This is primarily because of the interplay between he and George C Scott, who plays the gun happy general in the war room scenes. Scott, per usual, is tremendous here, and nearly steals the show in his own right.

Strangelove is one of the crowning achievements of satire. It shows that with just a few tweaks here and there, even the most sincere of subjects can be turned into a farce. Hilarious and disturbing at the same time, it's a film that must be seen by any lover of the cinema.