Parasite ★★★★★

"Who is the Parasite?"

Director Bong Joon Ho posed this rhetorical question back to the audience at the start of tonight's Q&A, and it's the perfect stepping-off point as I can say comfortably this film will be eating at me for some time to come.

Examining class dichotomies in and of itself is nothing new. Hell, it's nothing new for Bong. But this? I've never seen anything quite like it.

Endlessly entertaining and magnetically shape-shifting, Parasite is impeccably engineered (the verticality, the sets, lighting, production, characters, and narrative) to stack on top of itself but also collapse in on itself in a perfectly controlled demolition.

This film operates at the highest level on every level, and always has another level hidden just beyond our view.

It's honestly unfair that a film so sharply written - comic and condemning and typically both at once - can also generate so many memorable images, the toilet and the descent from a metaphorical Mt. Olympus through the downpour chief among them.

I keep going back and forth between 4.5 and 5 stars (I'm really quite anal about giving 5-star ratings). I reserve the right to decide on either at a later point in time, but irrespective of that, Parasite is an absolute stunner.

JasonMichael liked this review