Kodachrome ★★★

This was...okay, I guess, but problematically follows to the letter every single stereotypical plot beat of every "Brilliant But Asshole Dying Elderly Father and Curmudgeonly Alienated Adult Son Take One Final Road Trip Together And Plaintively Come To A Resolution To Their Relationship" movie ever made (including "Guest Starring Sassy Good Looking Female Caretaker Who Serves As Social Lubricant And Challenging Foil To The Pair," and "Did We Mention That The Adult Son Has Some Weird Cool Job You Only See In Movies That Both Plays To His Act-One Curmudgeonly Nature AND Gives Him An Excuse To Make The Road Trip"), a ridiculously specific movie type I had no idea had been made so many times until watching this one and realizing that I could correctly predict the dialogue and plot turns of every single scene right before each one happened. A competent mainstream debut by writer Jonathan Tropper and director Mark Raso, both of whom toiled in the grimy worlds of basic-cable thrillers and festival shorts before this; but if you want to see a movie about a brilliant but asshole elderly father and his troubled relationship with his curmudgeonly adult sons that has actual originality and legitimately laugh-out-loud black humor, and that as a bonus just happens to be a Netflix Original like this film, might I instead suggest Noah Baumbach's excellent The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected), all the more admirable for being inspired by Baumbach's actual relationship with his real father, moderately famous '70s Postmodernist author Jonathan Baumbach (who was also the inspiration behind Baumbach's earlier The Squid and the Whale, about their relationship when he was a teenager in the mid-1980s).

P.S. Although, SPOILER ALERT, that ending was complete fucking bullshit; a guy like Ed Harris's character, who was that fussy and pissy about his photography supplies, would've never left undeveloped film sit around rotting in canisters for 40 years, because he would've been the first one to realize that they would've dried out into unusable tatters by the time he took them to the lab in 2018. As a former film photography major in college, it kind of incensed me that a movie completely and totally devoted to the subject of film processing would get such a basic detail of the process so wrong.

Jason Pettus liked these reviews