Kong: Skull Island ★★½

2017 movie viewings, #95. I torrented this today on a complete whim, after being reminded of its existence. I found it...proficient and soulless, much like a particularly effective serial killer, which at the age of 48 is an attitude I find myself having more and more with these obscenely budgeted Hollywood summer blockbusters. I don't know if it's that I'm getting older or that the nature of these movies are changing that much (probably a bit of both), but I just can't seem to get into these kinds of films anymore, ironically because they're precisely so slick and perfect, the cinematic equivalent of watching a bead of water soundlessly roll off the back of a duck. Sigh, another formerly enjoyable thing that's now been ruined by the passage of time; add it to the list of the other two dozen things I used to like when young but can no longer muster up any enthusiasm for, I suppose, right above "LSD" and right below "indie-rock concerts." You'll be middle-aged one of these days too, then you'll see what I mean.

Jason Pettus liked these reviews