The Iron Rose ★★½

Watched as part of the June 2018 Letterboxd Scavenger Hunt
My list | Danae Cassandra's master list
#30. A film from Danae's list of Personal Favorites

I found this film to be only mediocre, and don't actually have much to say about it. One of those infamous '70s European horror films that in general I can take or leave just to begin with, this particular one by Jean Rollin is on the "slow and artsy" side of that genre's quality scale (which Rollin counterbalanced in his career with the "sex- and gore-filled" side through such more notorious movies as The Nude Vampire, Rape of the Vampire, The Shiver of the Vampire...well, you get the point), with a storyline that consists of not much more than a couple who go on a first date to a cemetery (because of course they do), where they find an open crypt and make love inside it (because of course they do), at which point the woman seems to become possessed by an evil spirit and kills her lover (because of course she does). The ultimate example of style above substance, The Iron Rose certainly looks pretty, at least when it comes to '70s giallo-style horror (think Suspiria for a good comparison), but quite literally only has about five minutes' worth of plot developments, with even those five minutes making no sense at all. Watch if this sounds like it would be up your alley, but otherwise avoid with a ten-foot pole.

Jason Pettus liked these reviews