Tumblefuckers ★★½

Watched as part of the June 2017 Letterboxd Scavenger Hunt
My list | Evan Whitford's master list
#24: A Film That Someone You Know, Met, Or Seen Worked On

2017 movie viewings, #83. I have personal connections to a number of movies at this point in my life; but I decided to instead take the advice of this month's scavenger hunt host, Evan Whitford, and watch his first-ever short film on YouTube in order to complete this particular task, since I always like watching the films of Letterboxd members whenever I have a chance. This, however, is really stretching the definition of "short film" -- only two minutes in length, it consists entirely of an overweight Latino teen in a tie-dyed t-shirt and sombrero aimlessly wandering the streets of an American Southwest suburb, until a fellow teen comes by in a paper crown and pulling a plastic garbage can, at which point the kid with the sombrero pulls out a hidden hatchet and (offscreen) chops up the other teen. It's cute for what it is, but 100 percent feels like some bored teens with a camera on a Sunday afternoon who didn't know what to do with their time, so ended up doing this on a purely random whim. Glad to support a fellow Letterboxd member like this, but here's hoping Whitford starts making actual narrative films soon.

Jason Pettus liked this review