Day of the Dead ★★★

"Top 50 Film of the 80's Selection"
"Top 10 of 1985 Selection"
Franchise Series: George A. Romero DEAD Films
Through the Eye of Scream Factory

"The Dead Walk"

Day of the Dead biggest flaw is been compare to Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead, I admit it, I was one of those that couldn't helped but compare Day with Dawn and Night. But this time watching the film after many years, I have to say, Day of the Dead is as good as the other two.

Day of the Dead is a character piece, a struggle between science and politics, a tension builder, a metaphor of Romero's pressure from the studio to produce another zombie film, there are many themes being juggle here.

There is a claustrophobic aura around the film, a sensation that anything could happen, all bets are off, you didn't know what was around the corner, something that zombie films now a days lack, and trade for guts and gore.

I can't talk about a zombie film without mentioning the dead scenes, two words: Tom Savini, the man is a master of his craft, the props, make-up and practical effects look amazing! even by today standards. I know that now a days CGI is the way to go, but man, knowing that is there, that what you are looking at is "real", is something that I really appreciate.

George A. Romero Day of the Dead, is a fantastic zombie film, that trade in gore and guts for a socially charge message, that in context resonates more now than in 1985.

Javo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ liked these reviews