The Favourite

The Favourite ★★★★

This might be the funniest movie I've seen this year??? The dialogue was so absurdly hilarious. I laughed so hard at the ridiculousness of this movie in multiple places.

Olivia Colman is PHENOMENAL in this movie. I loved her in The Lobster and she was even better in this. One of my top three or four acting performances this year I think.

Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz are also great, and both do a wonderful job of making the audience either sympathize with them or hate them.

Aside from the great acting performances and the idiosyncratic Yorgos-ness of it all, goddamn is this film beautiful. You wouldn't think the hallways of an 1800s British palace would be that stunning, but every shot is filled with detail and immersive lighting. I loved the use of the fisheye lens and those hard pans at times. Just a really visually dynamic movie that didn't really need to be.

I think this is probably my favorite (sorry) from Yorgos Lanthimos, although I do still doubt his ability to stick the landing slightly. I think he could have shaved 10-15 minutes off of this and made the film a little stronger. The third act dragged on a little for me and by the end I was really ready for it to be over. Nonetheless, it's great work from all involved.

Jacob liked these reviews