Annette

Annette ½

The first movie I saw at Cannes 2021. Will try to make an effort to review all the films I watch in the next couple of days.

Annette struggles in a lot of areas and unfortunately for a musical film the songs are terribly written. To the point where it feels like the whole thing is a parody. But it isn’t, right?

The tonal mismatch throughout, the plain lyrics and bizarre scenes  are too big of a hurdle for Adam and Driver to save.

I am not sure what the movie is about, and perhaps the scenes that actually caries some real emotion is that last one where you finally feel some drama.

I wonder what Adam Driver thinks about it, did something big change within the  concept of the movie?

My head aches just remembering those 2.20h of runtime so this is all i can write.

P.s. probably speaks for it self that i kept thinking about Tommy’s The Room during the whole film…

P.s.s. Ive read LWL’s review and they make some valid points, its a Rock Opera not a musical. Still it doesn't really justify a lot of the scenes and points ive made above.

Ted liked these reviews