The Green Knight

The Green Knight ★★★★

The Green Knight (2021)
dir. David Lowery

It’s a journey. Feels like one too. Time passes in such an unfocused, hypnotic, and dream-like way. Settings are bathed in both lavishing and murky colors, drenched in blood and sweat, and constructed with wood and metal. The dreamer treks through dense forests full of trees, smoke, and lost souls. Morality, lust, and honor linger in the background of every meticulously crafted shot. It’s surreal and visually unbelievable at every turn. But like a journey, it may go on… and on… and on. It may seem like it’s going nowhere. Be patient. Finding yourself takes time. You may not know what you’re looking for but once you find it, it will click. Once it does, you can live or die in peace. The question is, will you find it?

That’s just my take away from this unforgettable film. I could be absolutely wrong and that’s totally okay, especially since David Lowery throws everything imaginable on screen at once. But I am not going to rate this just yet. I’d be blatantly lying if I said I got the film, cause I surely did not. The second act has me a bit conflicted too, but a rewatch will most definitely help. What I do know was that this looked and sounded incredible, from the excellent cinematography and stunning visuals to the terrific performances and production design, exquisite costuming, and unique score.

Almost bawled my eyes out at the end. 🌳

Edit: Giving it 4 stars since I haven’t stopped thinking about it. Can’t wait to see it again!

Jacob liked these reviews