Raw ★★★★

Watched with Fabrizio

Raw is the first film by Julia Ducournau and has heavy influences of Cronenberg body horror but also has glimpses of films such as Danny Boyle’s “Trainspotting”. The film is exceptionally original and doesn’t follow the typical genre conventions of horror it instead creates something visually authentic and unique.

Ducournau’s direction is blisteringly beautiful from the opening shot. Ducournau takes a page from films like “Let the Right one in” where the film doesn’t focus on the horror but instead uses that as a backdrop to tell a thrilling story about status quo’s and the many humiliations that one suffers when growing up.

Ruben Impens cinematography is eye candy throughout the film. Impens specifically uses lighting to coordinate tone and make the film feel hypnotising and even dreamlike, the visual implications of the film change as our protagonist develops and grows.

The score by Jim Williams was beautiful and didn’t feel as if it could be integrated into any other gory, horror film. The score felt specific to this film and manages to completely change the perspective of the viewer and helps us continue in our understanding the psyche of the characters. Rather than crescendoing throughout to create the sense of something epic It stays small and plays out more like a score out of a coming of age film about discovery and learning to come out of your shell (which is basically what this film is despite the gore.)

The practical effects to create the gore in the film were perfect and didn’t make me doubt the authenticity or suspend my belief of what was going on in the film.

My one big con of the film is that, the ending just didn’t do it for me. The twist in the last sequence was just a bit too much for me and made the film feel less small and relatable nevertheless it definitely did not ruin the film for me because “Raw” was a terrific directional debut and a fantastic film !

The Reel House liked these reviews