Parasite

Parasite

This movie just gets better and better after every viewing. Had a great theater experience, pretty full on a Friday at 9:55, awesome to see, most laughed out loud. I realize, for some reason, older people just don't understand this movie. My parents didn't really get it, my aunt and uncle didn't like it, someone else I recommended it too just wasn't a fan, and a lady in front of us got up, stared at me and my friends after the movie and said, "did I miss something?". It really bums me out. I think the tonal shifts might not work for older American generations, it may be too out there for more classically trained Hollywood audiences, ironic because South Korean films have been so influential on American directors. Also, from the people I've talked to I've commonly heard they dont like that the Park's thought the dad smelled and the flooding sewer scene. Makes me wonder if growing up in a world without social media and a polished shiny Hollywood has sheltered and jaded them to movies blatantly depicting real world problems that they aren't facing themselves, and most likely would rather not think about. Someone could write a really good thesis on this movie and it's audience reaction by generation, someone a lot smarter than me.

James liked these reviews