Le Samouraï

Le Samouraï ★★★★

Gunman: "Nothing to say?"

Jef Costello: "Not with a gun on me."

Gunman: "Is that a principle?"

Jef Costello: "A habit."

I've been wanting to watch this film for a while. When I finally got the chance, I took it without hesitation. This was my first film from acclaimed French filmmaker, Jean-Pierre Melville and I very much look forward to viewing more us his work after seeing this one. Le Samouraï is considered by many to be Melville's best film and it's certainly not a bad one to hold that title.

Le Samouraï is slick, stylish, and sophisticated. The films lead character (Jef Costello) played by Alain Delon is one cool motherfucker. I wish I could dress like him with his long rain coat and grey fedora. The character falls under the same category as Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name. They are both what I call a 'Silent Badass'. They only talk when they need to, they're not ones for wasting words. When thy do talk they mean business though.

What makes Le Samouraï such a great film is the fact that it has a fairly simple plot, yet it is packed full of surprises to the very end. The cinematography is crisp and beautiful, the score is magnificent, and the film is full of long sequences of intensity. I really look forward to watching this film again because I know I'll love it even more. I feel it could one day become a favorite of mine. Le Samouraï may be slow moving, but it's gripping from start to finish. Just an awesome movie all around. 8.5/10

JC13 liked these reviews