The Sea of Trees

The Sea of Trees ★★★½

"You must know, this forest is very powerful."

Director Gus Van Sant's latest, The Sea of Trees, has been met with mostly unfavorable reviews. I was interested in it for Matthew McConaughey and Naomi Watts, but I went in with lowish expectations due to the critical reception. I was hoping to like it and I did. Truthfully I don't really understand why it has been getting such a negative reaction. It's not amazing or anything, but it's well made, well acted, and I personally didn't find anything in particular that was bad about it. The cinematography is very good, I liked the score, and the story was interesting and I liked where they took it. The nonlinear structure worked well and there were some pretty powerful scenes, as well as some unexpected moments that I liked. At the end of the day it's the main performances that really make it all work. Ken Watanabe is very good and both Matthew McConaughey and Naomi Watts are great. The relationship between those two felt very real and they had good chemistry together. Overall, I enjoyed this one. I found it to be a wonderfully acted film with some great themes and a strong emotional punch. 7/10

Block or Report