The Thing

The Thing ★★★★½

"I'm a real light sleeper, Childs." - R.J. MacReady

It took me four viewings, but I can now call John Carpenter's The Thing one of my all time favorites. My biggest problem in the past has been that there are too many characters and none of them really get much development, so they kind of blend together. After each viewing though, you get to know the characters more and they become more memorable and easier to tell apart. The practical effects in this are simply amazing and stand as some of the best ever put to film. The sets are also top notch and the cinematography makes fine use of the isolated Antarctic setting, helping to create a tense atmosphere. The entire cast are great in their given roles with the always awesome Kurt Russell leading the way. Seriously, how can anybody not love that guy? Then you got the pulse pounding score from the great Ennio Morricone. How it got nominated for a Razzie is beyond me, as it stands as one of the finest Horror movie scores of all time and truly adds to the mystery and suspense of it all. I also love the nice and lean 108 minute running time, where not a moment is wasted. I already loved The Thing the first three times I saw it, but this time my love for it became even greater. 9/10

JC13 liked these reviews